Wednesday 6 January 2010

Wiki experts and edits

Yesterday (Jan 6th) I spent several hours updating the Wiki entry for Digital Footprint This has been a learning lesson in wiki editorial as I ended up being blocked .

As the author of a book I cannot add it to wikki as I am biased and it is seen as advertising and promotion. However, if I create a dummy account without my name or ask a friend to do add content ( same unbiased factual material) it is accepted. The overall conclusion being that an expert in a field is not welcome to add their content to wiki as there will be a conflict of interest. The same can be added by a third party assuming they have the rights to do so.

Wiki has spend a lot of time writing guides that justify itself and it's own position.

Why I am I so interested. If digital footprint is about reputation, then getting someone else to add my content gives them the reputation, therefore why be an expert as I would be better off adding others content as my own and gain a better reputation.

The person who later changed the edit removed my reference, but left the content. However as the content is published under a creative commons attribution 2 licence, the wiki entry is now in breach as it is quoted without attribution - breaking their own rules.

Conversational, probably; thought provoking, yes !

I now have to fight the snow in HP15 rather than Wiki, one that I will win, which means sledgeing with the kids.

Tony Fish ~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment